DEPARTMENT OF NEUROLOGY
Prof. Roberto Cantello: Professore Associato Curriculum Vitae
Dott. Cristoforo Comi: Ricercatore Curriculum Vitae
The Department was founded in 1938 at the “Maggiore della Carità” Hospital in Novara, when it was headed by Professor Vercelli. During the 2nd World War times, there took place activities in the field of Neurology, Psychiatry and Ophthalmology.
From 1950 to 1979, Dr. Francesco Martelli was the subsequent to head the Department. Noticeably, he was among the first neurologists in Italy to introduce the routine use of electroencephalography in the clinical practice.
He was followed by Professor Carlo Pisani (1980-1988).
In 1988, the Department became a teaching facility run by the Università di Torino with its Medical School of Novara. Professor Roberto Mutani was then the Chairman, who gave raise to a thorough renovation in the neurological culture and practice. Professor Mutani also organized a local Specialty School in Neurology (1996), after the Department had been included in the newly-founded “Università del Piemonte Orientale” (1993).
Professor Francesco Monaco was the Chairman from 1997 to his sudden passing in 2011.
At present, the Department and Specialty School are headed by Professor Roberto Cantello.